Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Dengue Alert: Bukit Batok Street 34

PLEASE READ THIS BLOG ARTICLE. STAY VIGILANT. AND ASK OTHERS TO DO SO TOO.
I was on my way to camp yesterday morning and was listening to the radio in my mp4. Little that i know i'll live to see the day that my street address be announced through the news. "The worst clustered Dengue-infected areas with 73 cases is at Bukit Batok St 31, 32.. and 34.." I heard it right, Bt Batok St 34! My house address!!

I immediately msged my mom, demanding why i was not informed that the situation was that serious. I mean it was so since it warrants a news headline! Even that is an understatement: Today the number has climbed to 77 cases, a record-breaker in the history of Singapore. And who would have thought, my own neighbourhood?! The NEA (National Environment Agency) notice above was pasted at the lift lobby.

These posters are pasted all over our lifts. I must admit i was rather freaked out. I opened The Straits Times yesterday to see the map of my own block and a few others being higlighted in red. I mean how often is your neighbourhood mentioned like that, and for a Dengue case no less! I know our Town Council was fined heavily for it, and that there have been numerous house checks, including mine. But i'm angry with the fact that they seem not to want to do much fogging here. I mean for pit's sake, its the worst clustered dengue-infected area for crying out loud!

Good God. See that? More than 60 mosquito breeding found. 77 cases. I'm real scared. And the worst part is, i don't even know what to do about it. Yes don't start with me over overturning flower pots.

Here look closer. All the red dots show the number of cases. My block is on top, Blk 337. Luckily for us its 1 case. But looking at the state of things, i'm not surprise if the numbers go up. Will you not be freaked out if u were me? You imagine looking at the map of the place you and your family members go in and out everyday. How vulnerable are we being in this Dengue Cluster. I'm not sure why other people are not as freaked out as i am, they seem pretty relaxed and even amused. I'm worried. We're talking about our loved ones here.

That being said, I strongly urge all of you to take all necessary precautions. Do not take these things lightly, or for granted. We often think, or have the perception that "it will never happen to us". Do not lie to yourself, everyone feel that way. Even during the SARS crisis, people were scared, but that did not stop them from feeling that it would not happen to them. It's a "when it happen, it will always happen to anyone else" syndrom. This naive mentality has to stop. I'm serious.

I realise this on that day i heard my street name being announced on the radio, the news, and when my flat being highlighted in the newspapers. You will never know when it can happen to you or me. I admit i did feel this dengue thing will just go away. Nothing to worry about. And who would have thought, I for one never did, that the next moment your own neighbourhood has 77 dengue cases and suddenly named the Worst Ever Dengue-Infested Clustered Area in Singapore.

No comments: